Thursday, December 30, 2010

Angora and infants

So recently I had a rather heated discussion with some ladies in a spinning group. A couple of these ladies swear up & down that angora is dangerous to infants. Since I know families who have used angora in their baby items literally for generations, I was quite surprised. One of the ladies insisted that her own infant had "choked" on angora. I asked her if it had been imported chinese angora yarn (which is famous for shedding) or quality homespun and never did get an answer.

The reason this subject came up is that I am knitting a blanket for my first grandchild and it is an angora blend. The body is spun from angora and natural colored BFL, the border will be a satin angora and tussah silk blend. Needless to say, this will not be an 'everyday' blanket! But even so...

I did some research and found nothing indicating that angora is a danger to infants.

So, I thought I would ask all of you. Do you think angora is dangerous to infants? Mind you, it seems these days everything I ever used with my kids seems to be dangerous - how did they ever survive? But seriously, do any of you believe that an item made from well-constructed homespun angora blend would really endanger a baby?

5 comments:

Angoraknitter said...

I've never heard this either. I have a sweater made entirely out of angora (that I spun and knit myself) for my daughter when she was about a year old. Three of my children have worn it now. The only danger I've found is that it will keep the baby incredibly toasty warm. The sweater alone is all that's needed in the cold. I'm not sure I'd call it "quality" spun yarn, as I'm not that experienced and the sweater is very fluffy.

Lilac Haven said...

I've never heard of it either and there are a lot of vintage clothing items for infants to be found that are made of angora - the point here being that people have used it for babies for years...

Denise said...

I'm sorry that the comment went south so badly on the spin list. I think the response that you would not wear your wedding dress to bed was an appropriate way to think about it. One would not more than likely use the fancy blanket for the everyday "blankie". Excuse the pun but that is what happens when one makes a blanket statement about something without understanding how their comment might sound to another. I cringed when I read the post. I hope you carry on with your precious project and enjoy every minute of it. An angora blanket would be very nice to cover a baby in the depth of a cold PA winter. It is not going to be blanket that is drug around and sucked on. There is a difference.

livingwaterfarm said...

The only "danger" I have thought of when wishing to gift a baby with something angora is allergies. I never know if the baby will be allergic to rabbits. I had that situation come up but with an adult (my stepmother). I knitted her a scarf and it was not angora but a synthetic yarn but she presumed it to be angora and would not accept it. Yes, she is allergic to rabbits. But that's about all I can think of about angora. I seem to be mildly allergic as when working with the angora my eyes start itching and watering.

Barbara said...

One baby getting wool block from an angora blanket is not enough evidence to make the case that angora fiber should never be used in baby blankets. If we all followed that sort of reasoning there wouldn't be anything left to feed or clothe our children.

Barbara