Saturday, March 21, 2009

The "Impossible" Reds


I'm feeling pretty excited about having Tan-based Reds. One of the babies is indeed a Tort, I'm thinking Blue but I'm told Black Torts look a lot like Blue at first, and the level of rufus in this baby is pretty high for a dilute - but time will tell.

The eye bands and other Tan markings are starting to color up in the two Reds, making them harder to distinguish. I'm including a picture of the Black Tan Pattern so you can more easily see how the rufus really starts coming in the markings with time. I'm hoping the reds will color up so much that they appear to be Selfs.

I lost one of the Black Tans yesterday, poor thing got dragged out of the nest and chilled. :( This was one of three who needed some supplemental time with Mom at first, and was doing a great job of catching up to the others. I thought the entire litter was going to make it, but that's life.

Anyway, here's a picture of the Tort:


And here are pics of the bigger of the two red babies:




And here is a pic of the Black Tan, notice the rufus coming out in the markings:



I've had some interest expressed in the Reds already, I'm not sure if I'll keep one or not. I really don't have room for another project, lol, but they sure are pretty! Anyway, these babies will only go to someone who is serious about developing color in Giants.

1 comment:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

Nice colour on thoe babies!!! Lovely!
FN
Kim