Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Buzz cuts!

I got the three boys, Arthur, Louis, and Edmund, cut down to the skin today, they asked that I not post their pics, lol! I tried my Aesculaps on them first, but either I need more practice, or baby wool must be a little too fine for them, they didn't do all that great. So I would up scissor-cutting them, but I'm getting much more comfortable with scissors and got a really good, close cut on them. Next will be the two little girls I'm holding onto, then two adult does who will get a sacrifice clip. They have about an inch and a half of growth, but we are predicted to have temps in the 90s later in the week, so it's coming off. At least I know the clippers will make short work of their adult coats.

In preparation for the heat, the freezer is full of frozen water bottles, and I'm separating the young ones so they each have their own cage. Currently they like to pile on top of each other at the front of the cage to catch the breeze. That won't work well when the temps go up.

I also planted pole beans around the parts of the cages exposed to sun in the morning. I'll run strings up to the roofs so that the beans will shade the water bottles but still give me access for feeding and watering.

I also have two Giant Pumpkins planted here at the house, and two more up at camp. Also in the ground are onions, lettuce, mesclun, basil, cilantro, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and beets. I plan to do a lot of canning and freezing this summer.

No comments: