Thursday, October 18, 2007

Convention!

Naturally, I forgot to take my camera. :(

This Convention was a lot of fun for me. My entries did not do well, but I had a blast anyway.

I was counting on Stinker and his daughter, Verizon. Stinker fell just short of senior weight, so he stayed home. Those of you who know me know that I always have one REY (Ruby-Eyed-Yellow). This time it was Verizon, who was otherwise PERFECT. My bunns have been having an issue with red urine, and Verizon's brother Sherman (who will be moving permanently to Virginia) sprayed her right before the Washington County show last month. I have been trying to clean her up, and she does look better, considering she used to be orange. But that isn't why I scratched her. Sometimes I'm SUCH a moron. Anyway, I entered her as a Junior, which she was at the time, but when Convention rolled around she was an Intermediate. And you can change class due to weight, but not for age. So she had to sit this one out. I'm still kicking myself.

So, my first and second string animals either blew their coats, didn't make weight, or had some other issue. So, I pulled a buck and a doe from the breeding pool, groomed them as best I could, and took them, Verizon, and a couple of juniors. As expected, I didn't do very well, but I did help some folks earn legs. I also sold the junior doe. :)

Meanwhile, exciting things happened at Convention. Collin Burns, a young man who has been breeding and showing English Angoras for about a year and a half, won BIS youth, and his colored senior buck also won his class in Open! THIS KID KICKS SERIOUS BUTT!

Also, my friend Charlotte Schweikart won BOB French Angora with a beautiful Colored Senior Doe. I was sorry that she didn't win her group in the BIS competition, but she was beaten by the Mini Satin who went on to win BIS Open. It was a gorgeous little animal, and its owners also had another bunn in the Open BIS competition who won its group. Think they had fun at their first Convention? LOL!

I went out with friends, made new friends, and had a fascinating talk about genetics with Judy LeMarchant. She is always a highlight of going to Convention for me, I always learn something from her.

Anyway, I'm home, the bunns are tucked in for the night, I'm tired, and my feet hurt. It is sooo goood to be home...

So I'm off to Rhinebeck. I'm a glutton for punishment. Hope to see some of you there!

No comments: