Sunday, June 17, 2007

Life goes on...

I recently learned that I will lose my job. The company I work for buys other companies. Well, a bigger company bought us, and my position, along with an awful lot of other people's positions, has been eliminated.

HALLELUJAH!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I truly loved my job, and felt priviledged to have it. But I am getting 3 months salary as severance, and with unemployment, I will be quite well off for about 6 months. So... I am moving up to Camp. Camp is 68 acres of Heaven on Earth, near Clarion, PA, which the family owns. Bob and I have always wanted to live there, now we can make it happen. I had in fact been praying about it, since I was getting frustrated with some (well, one) of my neighbors poking his nose into my business. Nothing ever came of it, I abide by my local laws, but it annoyed me that this jerk felt he could/should tell me what I can and cannot do on my property. So, when I am unemployed, I'm moving up to Camp and getting a job there. Then when I am set up, Bob will quit his job, put the house up for sale, and move up with me. Then he'll get a job, and we'll get a mortgage and build a house...

At any rate, I'd like to float a political thought out there...

Those "environmentalists" out there, who complain about urban sprawl? Urban sprawl is caused by people who think they should be able to tell everyone else what to put in their yards, where their kids can play, what their kids can play, and generally tell people what they can do with their property.

People like that should be legislated into gated communities, where a Board decides what and how many pets you can have, what kind of border plantings you can do, what kind of fences you can have, what kind of mulch you can use, etc., etc.

That way the rest of us can exercise the full rights and priviledges that come with OWNING our property. If I wanted someone telling me what I can & can't do, I'd be renting. People seem to lose sight of what makes this country great - freedom - and property rights are integral to freedom.

Anyway, plans for the bunny barn are under way...

3 comments:

Cathy Phelan said...

I lurk around your blog, cause I raise Angora's and write a newsletter for California Angora Rabbit Society. I'm looking for tid-bits to use. Anyway, Your neighbor sounds like a jerk. I had to buy the property around me (I'm a real estate broker) so I don't have neighbors and we're zoned A1 (light agriculture) Our Society doesn't understand that Freedom has become an illusion.

Jan said...

True, Cathy. This is supposed to be the Land of the Free, instead it has become the Land of the Heavily Taxed and Regulated. NOT what the Founding Fathers had in mind AT ALL, IMO.

Martha said...

Indeed! MYOB
I am trying to find a local breeder of German Angoras and/or hybrids. My daughter has started spinning and I want to provide her with some of the best fiber on earth.
I was raised on a farm in Maine and now I feel the need to surround myself with the plants and animals of my youth. I had a much loved Bunny Wambit, (I couldn't say rabbit when I was little, thus her name) as a girl and I still miss her. I am a master gardener and I raise earthworms as well as my daughter being a spinner. I really feel the time is right for rabbits. They fit into the ecology of my life.