Saturday, November 18, 2006

Shearing party report

Well, I think it was a success. We still haven't figured out quite the best way to use electric clippers, but Cheryl and I were able to help Michelle, Heather, and Sherri with the shearing questions they had. We also had a visit from Cheryl's friend Julie. I sold Mopsie to Cheryl, and Pewter, my wooly French Lop, got a badly needed hair cut. I used her to show the ladies a technique I have developed to get those matted-to-the-skin areas safely shorn. Pewter is the perfect demo animal for this, as her wool mats no matter what, but she is patient and sweet while I fuss over her.

We also worked on spinning with a wheel and with drop spindle. I forgot to bring my new mini combs, so they'll have to wait for next time.

Next time? Yep, we had such a great time, we want to do it again! We're thinking after the holidays sometime. Let me know if you're interested!

2 comments:

Gerald said...

Sounds like a great idea! The Mid South Angora club is trying to think up ideas to promote angoras in this area. We may have to use the shearing party idea.

Gerald Buck

Jan said...

Hi Gerald,

I think it will be a good way to help beginners stay interested and active in angoras. People can get discouraged if it seems like they can't get good advice and they can get frustrated if they can't figure out how to deal with things like mats and uncooperative bunns. Let me know how it works out for you if you guys decide to give it a try.