Sunday, October 22, 2006

Rhinebeck

This time I rented a room and stayed overnight so I'd have time to enjoy myself. I delivered 3 tan pattern angoras, one to Katie of Smith Family Farm, and 2 to Louise Walsh of Evergreen Farm, who is going to help me develop the color in Giant Angoras.

I was hoping to come home with an Icelandic fleece, but I didn't see any there that spoke to me, at least not enough to pay the asking price. But my friend Terry Kunst did give me some nice Rambouillet. I am going to wash it, blend it with angora and silk, and spin a lightweight yarn for socks. I'm thinking 40% wool, 40% angora (chocolate), and 20% Tussah silk for nice, strong, warm socks. I have never knitted socks yet, so I am looking forward to it!

Along the way, besides Katie, Louise, and Terry, I also ran into Chris, Susan, and Kim.

I did see a bag of Wesleydale that spoke to me, I walked away, thought about it, came back for it, and it was gone. :(

Well, I know a couple of Icelandic breeders, as well as a breeder of BFLs, which I am also very fond of, so I'll keep working on it.

I almost forgot to mention, I finally bought the set of mini-combs I've been promising myself from Janet Lynn of The Wheel Thing. I plan to demonstrate them at the shearing party. But for those of you who cannot make it, here are some pics of the procedures from Janet's website:

http://www.the-wheel-thing.com/products/combs/CombingTips.html

No, I don't get a commission, I simply LOVE these combs!

2 comments:

Katie said...

It was nice to meet you Janet!

Carmie is doing great. I can't wait to breed her!

Jan said...

Thank you, Katie, I'm glad she's doing well, and I can't wait to hear what she produces for you!