Tuesday, July 25, 2006

RIP Dumpling




It's taken me awhile to work up to posting this. I lost Dumpling, aka Abundant Fastnacht, recently. I came home from work one evening, and checked on Carmie's litter. They were fine. I looked down at Dumpling in the bottom cage, where I'd moved her after breeding her to Cody. She'd gone a little off her feed, but I took comfort in that, as it is typical of her when she is bred. She looked fine, lounging on her EZ rest, and even tolerated a head scritch from me. When I came back a couple hours later to feed, she was dead.

I tearfully picked her up. She wasn't my favorite doe, but it still hurts me when I lose one, especially a good one. Dumpling had the finest Giant ancestry in the country. When I could get her bred, she was a good mama. She was also my best wool producer. She was still warm, but stiffening.

I later learned that a son of hers had passed similarly. I have heard other stories of Giants and Germans passing suddenly like this. Is it an inherent weakness? I don't know. I do know that she was an excellent rabbit, and I still want her bloodlines, so I am pursuing obtaining one of her grandkids.

4 comments:

Angora Girl said...

Jan, I'm so sorry for your loss. I've lost a couple of my does recently and I know how much it hurts.

Jan said...

Thank you, Tracy. I guess I don't make much of a mean, cruel rabbit breeder.

Elaine said...

I'm sorry Jan. It seems there is a lot of sorrow going around the rabbit community of late. FWIW, it is known that Giants (and consequently Germans?) are prone to cardiac issues especially cardiomegally. Many of the larger breeds have this problem including Checkereds and Flemish and French lops.

Jan said...

Thanks, Elaine. Guess I'd better hurry up and breed that wooly French Lop doe then, eh? Before she keels over...

I'll have to post another pic of her, she's getting really friendly and I just love her to death! (NPI)