Sunday, July 09, 2006

Baby pics

I have pics of my 2 Blue Tan Angora babies, and of Carmie's litter sired by a Thrianta buck. Here are the Blue Tans, at about 5 weeks of age:


And here is Carmie's litter. I'd like to note that my intial look at the litter wasn't too accurate, there are 7 kits, not 6, and there are 5 reds and 2 coppers:


There is a runt in the litter, who I missed during my first look. I found him the night before last, and he was pretty scrawny. I gave him about 5 minutes alone with Carmie, and when I checked them all today to get this photo, she had just fed them and his little belly was absolutely full! :)

I hate to check them, when I put them back Carmie was very upset with me and stepped on one of them in her haste to "protect" them from my intrusion. Now that I see Runt is fending well for himself, I'll skip a day and see how it goes.

So what wil I do with this litter? Statistically, half of them should have inherited a Tan gene from Carmie. But which ones? Well, I need a buck with a Tan gene. So I most likely will keep all the bucks and test breed each to a different doe.

Now watch, lol, ALL of them will be bucks!

4 comments:

Elaine said...

what adorable babies. Tan is so pretty in wool. Ah well, I'm thinking that if the tan gene was unable to express at all, then the T buck must be A- Rats. Back to the drawing board.

Terri said...

What cute little bunnies!! I love nestboxes with new babies in them! Masquarade is due this weekend with a pure Giant litter!! She did well with her half bred litter and she is showing signs that she will kindle soon.

Jan said...

Hi Elaine - yep, I'm thinking he's AA. Oh well, agouti is easy to breed out of Tans.

Hi Terri - Wonderful! I'm getting my doe from Louise next month, I'm very excited!

Terri said...

Cool!!
I will be getting another in October from her too!