Monday, May 08, 2006

Ups, downs, and my latest aquisition

This weekend was exciting, rewarding, and disappointing. PAngora sponsored an Angora Specialty show at the OSRBA convention in Columbus, OH on Saturday. We had a nice turnout, although I had hoped for more. JG's Jens, owned by Jane Evans and bred by me, won BOB Giant Angora and BIS in the Specialty! His sister 5JG14 took BOS Giant Angora, and Jane bought her from me, too. She named her JG's Antja. She and Jens are names after a German couple that Jane and her husband know.

The following day, JG's Jewel took BOB and 5JG10 took BOS. I haven't named him yet, I am hoping to sell him. He is a nice little buck! Both 5JG10 and Jewel won legs at the show. This litter has been impressive! But then, the litter I picked their sire, Storybook Dreams Snowman, from was also remarkably consistant in quality.

When I got home, I found Dumpling's babies had died. One apparently got dragged out of the nestbox while nursing and the other could not keep warm without its littermate. So, it's back to the drawing board - er, breeding cage, for Dumpling.

I also brought home a new brood doe. Here is her picture. Now, don't laugh!


What is that? That is a Steel colored, purebred, Intermediate French Lop doe, "King's Pewter", who somehow managed to inherit 2 recessive angora genes! She weighs 11 1/2 pounds already, and is still growing. Why would I want her? My Giants don't always make senior weight, and when they do, it is after a year of age and with few if any ounces to spare. My goal is to breed more size and bone into my Giant lines without losing the commercial body type. Since normal and lop ears are co-dominants, that means the first generation will have ears in between - airplane ears, in other words! I'm already considering Cessna, Boeing, Lockheed, and Lear as potential names. How does JG's King Lear sound? LOL!

2 comments:

claudia at countrywool said...

I love the plan... Good luck!

Merry Marten says hi. She is expecting her first litter in 2 weeks.

Jan said...

Oooh... I can't wait to hear how they turn out!