Monday, October 10, 2005

Big, huge brag!

Pictures to come...

One of my Junior Giant bucks took Best Opposite Sex of Breed recently in an Angora Specialty show at Lebanon, PA! This is the first "leg" one of my rabbits has ever won, mainly because I can never find enough competition. He is the result of a breeding of my doe, Brat, to the brother of a doe who beat her out for Best of Breed awhile back.

I entered Carmella, my little chocolate Otter doe, in the "Working Woolers" class we had. I'm not sure where she placed exactly, but she was the youngest rabbit in the class and so I didn't expect much. The judge loved her color and her density and wants to see her again when she has grown up and her adult coat has grown in. :D Persnickety, my black Otter doe, had to be shorn as she was showing signs of woolblock. She seems fine now, but this is something that seems to happen when you introduce shorthairs into an angora breeding program. Her sister Merry never seemed to miss a beat, I'm actually a little wistful at parting with her, Claudia!

I also have added another German doe to the herd, actually two, but as yet am unsure of which I am keeping. I don't even have their pedigrees yet, I bought them based soley upon their physical attributes and the reputation of their breeder. I've decided to call them Flopsie and Mopsie. Mopsie got sprayed quite thoroughly by a buck and, well, looks a bit like a mop right now, but I think she's going to be a swan and is probably the one I'll keep. Nice long, smooth body with loads of density! Her sister might be a bit less dense but is shorter-coupled and would do well in a Giant breeding program. I have someone in mind for her already, someone who has been quite nice to me and deserves a nice gift.

No comments: