Sunday, September 04, 2005

What a weekend!

I got called away for a minor family emergency yesterday. When I got back, Winky, my F2 blue otter doe, had given birth - everywhere! (First litter.) 7 babies, one survived. I debated what to do with him (if indeed it is a him I sure hope so!), and decided to let Nature take its course and rebuilt the nest and put him in it. I fully expected him to be dead this morning. He was cold, but not dead. So I warmed him up (again) and held Winky while he ate. He's been fine all day, I had Winky feed him again and brought him in for the night.

I have had very bad luck with my otter bucks, they have accidents. I'm hoping this 3rd time is the charm and my streak of bad luck is over. He looks to be a blue or black otter, I don't know yet if he will be an angora. Winky is the result of breeding 2 F1s together, there is a 25% chance she doesn't carry angora. Even if she does, there is no guarantee this little guy is one, even tho' his dad is, because Mom is shorthaired, it's 50 -50 even if she does carry angora. She has such great color and she's double wideband, so I thought it worth the risk to keep her and breed her. Vinnie is the proud Papa.

If the little guy makes it, he most likely will sire some litters for me, even if he isn't an angora. I know he at least carries it, as well as dilute and chocolate.

Tomorrow I hope to get some pictures of the bunns I have for sale up on the web page. I also need to groom 5 bunns for show and tattoo them, plus more work on the NARBC newsletter.

Meanwhile, the chocolate shetland does not blend well with the mahogany angora for the Dingo sweater. The mahogany makes the gray in the shetland look blue. Yuck! Actually, if I were not trying to duplicate the color of my dog, it would be very pretty. The mahogany blends well with the Dingo fuzz and the tort angora, so the chocolate/gray shetland has to go.

So I'm looking for soft, fine brown wool without any gray. If you have some, I want it, please contact me. I don't care if it is in the grease or not.

3 comments:

claudia at countrywool said...

How about Moorit Fleece? I have a few pounds of washed fleece in stock. I shall take a picture and send it tomorrow.

Jan said...

That sounds great, Claudia, I look forward to seeing the picture!

Leslie Shelor said...

Funny how colors change when you put them together. I've changed several projects when colors just didn't work like I expected.