Wednesday, July 20, 2005

NC bunny gathering

Well, I won't rehash what others have described and photographed so well. Chris and Leslie did a wonderful job of documenting the meeting, which was fun and rewarding for all involved. Thank you, Elaina, for hosting it and us!

I had to have a bunny put down last night. Somehow, a little 4 week old chocolate otter buck got his foot caught in the floor wire and nearly tore half his hind leg off. I sobbed hysterically as I worked for about 10 minutes before I could get him loose, and it was a hopeless situation. Yes, he could have lived, but he would have have been a "special needs" bunny for the rest of his life, and I don't know that I could have found the right home for him. So I took him to the vet's to be humanely put down, as neither Bob nor I could bring ourselves to do it, and my meat rabbit breeder friend was at work and thus not available.

The other 3 otters appear to be does. If so, I'm back to square one in breeding myself a buck.

I did confirm one thing - one of the surviving otters has 2 recessive wideband genes! That means Vinnie does indeed carry wide band! I had hoped he did, now I know for sure! :) I hope to post pictures this weekend detailing how to determine the likely wideband genes of tan pattern bunnies.

3 comments:

Elaine said...

Sorry to hear about the chocolate otter baby. It's horribly sad isnt' it? Not all of rabbit breeding is 'cute' by any means, but it was very compassionate of you. I'm curious, how did you determine that an otter carries double wideband?

claudia at countrywool said...

I send sympathy. It is so hard to do this. You did the right thing.

Jan said...

Thanks for your sympathies!

I'll get into detail about the double wideband (which actually makes the bunny in question a poorly colored Tan angora, rather than an Otter) later this weekend, most likely Sunday.