Thursday, June 02, 2005

Interview

This is a fun game being passed around amongst fiber bloggers. The rules are at the end of this post. Here are my answers to Leslie's questions:


1. Springers are wonderful things. How did you wind up with Banjo and where did he get his name?

My SO, Bob, had a wonderful dog named Harry. Harry was named after the policeman who saved his life. It seems Harry was a young pup found wandering along the Parkway East in Pittsburgh during rush hour. Officer Harry rescued him. Officer Harry was a friend of Bob's family and asked them if they wanted a dog. Bob was looking for a hunting dog, and Harry (whom we think was a cock-a-poo) appeared to have spaniel in his background, so Bob took Harry in. Harry turned out to be the best hunting dog Bob and his friends ever hunted over, and had at least 100 grouse shot over him. He was also Bob's constant companion. By the time I entered Bob's life over 8 years ago, Harry was getting up there in years. I knew his eventual loss would be devastating for Bob, so I looked around and found a litter of Springers available. I asked Bob how he would select a new puppy, and he said he'd select the most aggressive (not mean aggressive, determined aggressive) dog in the litter. My kids and I went out to see the litter, there were 11 pups in the litter! As they literally flowed out of their basket, one came right to me and crawled into my arms. I asked the breeder which was the most aggressive pup in the litter, and she said it was the one I was holding. So he was the one I took home. On the way home, my kids found all his ticklish spots, and we named him Banjo because of the motion his hind leg made when they scratched him.

We brought Banjo home, and Bob was not particularly pleased, as we already had his dog Harry and my dog, Dingo. He finally came over to see Banjo, looked into that funny, wrinkly face and fell in love. Banjo, meanwhile, when sat down in the middle of the floor, looked around, decided he was home, and never looked back. Never whimpered or whined, and immediately made a place for himself in our home and our hearts. He was also the Puppy From Hell, but that's another story. I do have him to thank for making it necessary to buy new furniture!

When Harry's time came one night at the age of nearly 17, I called Bob home from work, and Harry died in his arms. As Bob held Harry and wept, Banjo sat beside him and gently licked his face, as if to say, "It's alright Dad, I'll take care of you now." He did his job - and still does.


2. Why did you choose angoras as a fiber animal to breed, and why did you choose the breed you have?

I live in a small rural town and have essentially a postage stamp for a yard. Sheep or goats were obviously out of the question. We had had a pet mini lop named Georgie that we just loved, and when she passed away at the age of 6, she left a hole in our hearts. So I got a black German Hybrid and we named him George. George was just a big, lovable fluff ball! Then came Angel, another black german hybrid. I wanted easy-care, productive rabbits, and Germans are it. The more I learned, the more involved I wanted to be. I got some Giants so I could show them, and did quite well. Then I let some of the Giants go and got purebred Germans to improve my bloodlines because my Giants matted. I now keep a line of purebred Germans, a Giant/German cross line, and colored German hybrids.


3. Do you live in the area where you were born, and if not, what brought you to the place you live now?

I was born in New Kensington, PA, about an hour away from where I live now. The rest of my family lives down South now, in Virginia, S. Carolina, and Florida. I moved where I am now to be with Bob, and it gave me the excuse I needed to change my career to a computer consultant. Bob and I love PA, we love the hills, the mountains, the valleys, the streams, the fields, the smell of the woods, tilled earth, newly mown hay, and we love to hunt. We love the change in seasons, and we love to ski, although we almost never get to anymore.

4. Are your interests lasting ones or do you enjoy getting involved in new activities, leaving the old ones behind?

I find I usually don't leave an interest behind for too long. I have raised a number of different animals since I was a kid, either animals of my own, or I'd help my friends with theirs. I've had dogs, cats, cavies (guinea pigs), horses, and now rabbits. My desire to learn to hand spin was born in college, when I did work-study down at Fort New Salem at Salem College in WV. I knew it was something I wanted to do someday, and eventually I found the right partner to enable me! I used to knit alot when I was a young mother, then left it behind for awhile when I split with my husband and had to work to support myself. Now that I have my own yarn to knit with, it is even more satifying than it was before! :)

5. What's your favorite activity on a rainy day?

Boy, that's a tough one! Playing with baby bunnies, just sitting and shooting the breeze with Bob, spinning, knitting, reading a good book, and participating in debate forums (one of which I own), not necessarily in that order.


The Rules of The Interview

1. Leave me a comment saying “interview me.”

2. I will respond by asking you five questions here. They will be different questions than the ones above.

3. You will update YOUR blog with the answers to the questions.

4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.

5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions

The first 2 people to ask will be interviewed!

1 comment:

Leslie Shelor said...

Fun to get to know you better! Great answers and I hope we can met in the real world someday!