Wednesday, May 18, 2005

New babies!

Abundant Fastnacht (aka Dumpling) has FINALLY produced a litter! Billy Goat's Gruff, my 100% German buck (sired by Wiley's Zeigenbock, my late 100% import buck), is the proud father. Unfortunately, like many first-time moms, Dumpling made a mistake - she had the 7 babies in the front of her nestbox, and not in the nest she'd built in the back. Only 2 made it into the warmth of the wool she lined the nest with, and lived. They seem to be fine, and well fed, so I am going to let Nature take its course and leave them there tonight. I had considered bringing them in for the night, but we are going hunting this weekend so they're going to have to get used to the cool nights anyway. I did fill the front of the nestbox with hay, so if they clung to Mom when she was finished feeding them, they'd roll back into the wool. I also added more wool. The 2 did OK the night they were born, so they should be OK. If not, MOM will get bred back and we'll try again in another 31 days...

Meanwhile, my sweetheart has decided to buy me the Kromski Polanaise wheel my friend Chris from Woolybuns had for sale. Awesome! I can't wait to get it!

No comments: