Sunday, April 24, 2005

breeding program

So I am developing a new color in Giant Angoras, can you guess what it is? I had two nice, if small, F2s, but they became victims of a mishap. Since I no longer have my F1 bucks, I no longer have any bucks of the color I am working towards. So I am debating as to the best way to get to where I need to be. I could purchase another short-haired buck of the variety I want, but I would have all short-haired babies again, since short hair is dominant over angora. However, I would also have all the genes I need and no unwanted recessive genes. But I would also have to work more on wool length and texture, and size, body type, and temperament. Or, I could purchase an angora buck who has some of the color genes I want - and some I don't. But size, body type, and temperament should improve.

Essentially, I want to bring rufous modifiers and wideband genes in, without other recessives like satinizing and color extension. Satin Angoras currently are the easiest breed to find rufous and wideband in, but that would be primarily in the reds and coppers, so not only would the recessive satin gene pop up, likely the ee would, as well. What to do, what to do...?

Meanwhile, I carded a bag of Angel's wool yesterday, and I'm going to have a whirl at spinning it today. :)

No comments: